Former Football Player Sentenced for Bankruptcy Fraud
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of South Carolina
COLUMBIA, SC—United States Attorney Bill Nettles stated today that Richard Francis Sanford, age 54, of Lexington, pled guilty in federal court in Columbia to bankruptcy fraud, a violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 152(1), and was sentenced to two years’ probation, 30 days of home confinement, and 100 hours of community service. Senior United States District Judge Matthew J. Perry, Jr., presided.
Evidence presented at the change of plea hearing established that Sanford is a chiropractor and former professional football player who attempted to file for bankruptcy under Chapter 7 of the bankruptcy code.
As part of the bankruptcy filing, he had to disclose all of his assets.
On February 17, 2009, in a filing to the bankruptcy court, Sanford knowingly omitted the fact that he had a one-quarter interest in a condominium in Vail, Colorado.
That interest was ultimately sold for $70,000.
When confronted with this omission by the trustee, he withdrew his petition.
As a result, his debts have not been discharged in bankruptcy.
The case was developed by the Office of the United States Bankruptcy Trustee and ultimately turned over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Assistant United States Attorney Winston D. Holliday, Jr., of the Columbia office prosecuted the case.
Please be advised that:
The information and notices contained in this blog are intended to summarize recent developments and news. The posts are presented as general research and information. These posts are not intended, nor should be regarded, as legal advice. Some blog posts concern allegations made in civil lawsuits and in criminal indictments in United States Courts. All persons are presumed innocent until convicted of a crime and proven guilty. Readers who have particular questions or who believe that they need legal counsel should seek the advice of a qualified attorney. It is neither the editor's or author's intention to create a confidential relationship or any broker-client relationship via communication from this site at any time. Please consult with your state real estate board if questions & answers in the education section conflict with the laws of your region or if you need clarification regarding their applicability or how they may govern the services that you provide.
By entering this web site, you understand the following:
When you select a link to an outside Web site, you are subject to the privacy, copyright, security, and information quality policies of that Web site. David Saks:
1.DOES NOT control or guarantee the accuracy, legality, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information contained on a linked Web site;
2.DOES NOT endorse linked Web sites, the views they express, or the products/services they offer unless linked web sites, the views they express, or the products/services they offer endorse or support David Saks in accordance with the standards of the Tennessee Real Estate Commission and the Federal Government's laws regarding commerce and the application, solicitation and transmission of internet-related concerns, commerce or social networking;
3.CANNOT authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites;
4.IS NOT responsible for transmissions users receive from linked Web sites;
5. That DavidSaks.Com is biographical & real estate related. Some links within will leave this site.
6. http://activerain.com/profile/davidsaks is internet-compliant & abides by the rules & regulations of the Tennessee Real Estate Commission, Eve Maxwell, Executive Director.
7. Unless indicated otherwise, ActiveRain does offer listings, or IDX and is provided for licensed salespersons, brokers, buyers & sellers of real property as a community & professional service.
8. David Saks is a retired / licensed real estate broker in the State of Tennessee, license #290452, and an independent contractor.
9. Information is believed to be accurate, but not guaranteed, at any realty link or document connected to the World Wide Web & viewable by anyone connected to the internet who has a web browser.
10. Brokers, buyers, sellers, agents & anyone should independently verify any information prior to submitting any offer to purchase goods & services from any link.
11. Please Visit The American Real Estate Alliance or Memphis.8k.Com for additional information regarding property issues for real estate professionals and consumers.
Before you even think about committing a real estate crime
click this red button.
"Information generated by the Department of Justice is in the public domain and may be reproduced, published or otherwise used without the Department’s permission. Citation to the Department of Justice as the source of the information is appreciated, as appropriate."
© All Rights Reserved.
Department of Justice Legal Policies
Click "HERE" For Today's Question
David Saks Show
University of Memphis
Mr.Saks' participation in ActiveRain ended April 13, 2015.
His blog archives will remain online.
May God bless you.